Pets are our ‘fur babies’ and we love them dearly. Here are a couple safety pointers for having pets.
1. Get a sign or a sticker to put on your front door to let people know you have a pet inside in case of an emergency. Be sure to include what kind of pet, how many, their name and your phone number. Ours is white with red writing and says: In Case of Emergency, please rescue our dog Bella and has our phone number on it. We got it from a vendor at one of our rallies but you can probably order them online or make your own.
2. Get a temperature monitor for pets so you can be alerted if the temperature inside your RV gets too hot while you are away sightseeing which can happen if power goes out while you are gone. I can’t recommend one because we use our Auto Generator Start (AGS) to automatically start our generator based on a power outage or high temperatures. There are plenty of temperature monitors out there to choose from though most require Wi-Fi to be able to notify you of a problem while you are out.
3. Get your pet micro-chipped! We had our dog, Bella, micro-chipped and then registered her with Home Again. Some of the benefits of Home Again:
- Your pet’s microchip ID number will be permanently registered in the HomeAgain National Pet Recovery Database, along with your contact information. Always keep your contact information up to date. Updates are always free.
- The HomeAgain call center staffs around-the-clock Lost Pet Specialists who are trained to send out Lost Pet Alerts and guide you through the process of searching for your pet.
- Dedicated Recovery Specialists send rapid Lost Pet Alerts to the HomeAgain Pet Recovery Network of volunteer veterinarians, shelters and PetRescuers in the area where your pet went missing. Pet parents can also create a Lost Pet Poster on the website to begin their search promptly.
- Your pet’s protected even when he’s by your side! When a pet emergency strikes, HomeAgain members have access to a 24-hour hotline staffed with licensed ASPCA veterinarians. Call for potentially life-saving advice when you need it most.
- For lost pets found 500 miles or more from home, a Home Again membership covers $500 in pet airfare to fly your cat or dog back home.
4. One of the best investments we ever made was for a pet bed for outside. This one is made by Paws & Pals and we bought it on Amazon for about $25. Our dog, Bella, loves it! It gives her a comfortable place to sit/lay that’s off the ground and if it gets wet, it dries quickly and cleans up easily.